PRESS RELEASE: CHICAGO — More than 30,000 runners filled the streets of Chicago for the 35th anniversary Bank of America Shamrock Shuffle 8K. Cool temperatures and sunshine brought runners out in full force for a tour of Chicago’s Loop, followed by a Post-Race Party at Buckingham Fountain. The first runner across the finish line was Jacob Riley, 25, of Rochester, Mich., in 23:06. The women’s winner was Katie Kellner, 22, of Rochester Hills, Mich., in 27:13. Both winners are members of the Hansons-Brooks Distance Project.
“It was a great day to kick off the outdoor running season in Chicago,” said Executive Race Director Carey Pinkowski. “Given the historic winter we’ve had, the large turnout is a testament to the commitment of the Chicago running community.”
Riley, who came in second place at the 2013 Bank of America Shamrock Shuffle 8K was thrilled to break the finish tape this year. He narrowly beat out his teammate Brendan Gregg, 24, of Rochester Hills, Mich., with a time of 23:09. Dan Lowry of Ann Arbor, Mich., came in third with a time of 23:17.
“After being outkicked last year, it’s nice to come in first place,” said Riley, “I love this race, it’s got a great energy to it. It’s great for training, I’ll be running my first marathon this fall.”
This was women’s winner Katie Kellner’s first Bank of America Shamrock Shuffle. A recent graduate of Cornell University, she beat out Laura Batterink of Evanston, Ill., with a time of 27:30. Third place finisher was Danna Herrick from Urbandale, Iowa, with a time of 27:37.
“This was my first time racing in Chicago, it’s a cool city and it was an incredible experience,” said Kellner, a new member of the Hanson-Brooks Distance Project. “The Bank of America Shamrock Shuffle was a great way to start my outdoor training season and I hope to be back next year.”
In the wheelchair competition, Bobby Swanson from Round Lake Beach, Ill., won the Bank of America Shamrock Shuffle 8K title in 25:38. The women’s wheelchair champion Kendall Gretsch from Downers Grove, Ill., finished in 26:33.
The 2014 Bank of America Shamrock Shuffle 8K included the second consecutive USATF National Club Team 8 km Championships, featuring 47 elite club teams from around the country. This is the third year in a row Michigan-based Hansons-Brooks Distance Project won both the men’s and women’s elite individual titles. The men’s team title went to Playmakers Elite out of Lansing, Mich., with a combined finish time of 1:35:08 among their top four finishers. They were led by third-place finisher Dan Lowry with a time of 23:17. The women’s team title was captured by Hansons-Brooks Distance Project with a combined finish time among their top three finishers of 1:24:38, led by female winner Katie Kellner.
Rounding out the top three teams in the men’s team competition were the Twin Cities Track Club from Minneapolis, Minn., (1:37:55) and Movin’ Shoes Race Team from Madison, Wisc. (1:37:56). In the women’s team competition, Twin Cities Track Club (1:25:06) and New Balance Chicago (1:25:26) were second and third, respectively.
Top 10 Male Finishers
- Jacob Riley, Rochester, Mich.,23:06
- Brendan Gregg, Rochester Hills, Mich., 23:09
- Dan Lowry, Ann Arbor, Mich.,23:17
- Jed Christiansen, Greenville, Penn., 23:41
- Zachary Ripley, Grand Rapids, Mich., 23:47
- Jacob Edwards, Delaware, Ohio, 23:51
- Dan Greeno, Saint Michael, Minn., 23:53
- Makorobondo Salukombo, Lakewood, Ohio, 23:54
- Chris Erichsen, Minneapolis, Minn., 23:55
- Michael Reneau, Minneapolis, Minn., 23:55
Top 10 Female Finishers
- Katie Kellner, Rochester Hills, Mich., 27:13
- Laura Batterink, Evanston, Ill., 27:30
- Danna Herrick, Urbandale, Iowa, 27:37
- Ariana Hilborn, Tempe, Ariz., 27:38
- Lavenna Kubatzky, Lake Orion, Mich., 27:55
- Elizabeth Herndon, Saint Paul, Minn., 27:59
- Dani Fischer, Wausau, Wis., 28:02
- Rachel McFarlane, Lansing, Mich., 28:06
- Kristen Heckert, Lisle, Ill., 28:09
- Amanda Mirochna, Naperville, Ill., 28:10