Triathletes have busy lifestyles. On top of family and career, we choose to train for not just one sport, but three! Being a successful triathlete also means having good time management skills. Where do we find the time to get all our workouts in? Most of us do our long workouts on the weekends, but what about during the week? Do you work out in the morning, afternoon or evening? Morning workouts rock and here are 8 reasons why you should add morning workouts into your schedule:
- Facilities are less crowded – if you head to a gym to get in your workout, chances are very strong that you would be waiting for equipment in the evenings; you’d need to share a lane in the pool. However, if you get to the gym first thing in the morning, they are much less crowded giving you an opportunity to finish your workout much more quickly.
- Hormones are peaking – based on scientific studies, testosterone levels are higher in the morning. Testosterone helps build muscle mass, so by exercising in the morning, you are taking advantage of these naturally circulating hormones as they are peaking.
- Leaves time for other priorities – when you can get your workout completed in the early morning – before the day starts for most people – you can get finished more quickly, avoid rush hour traffic and then free up your evening to spend with family or take care of other things.
- Increases your focus – After exercise, your focus increases on the next activity because your body is energized. For most people, work or school comes after the morning workout. This means you will be more alert and productive during the main hours of the day.
- Decreased chance of skipping your workout – one of the best benefits of working out in the morning is that there is very little chance that anything will get in your way to cause you to skip your workout. If you wait until later in the day, any number of things can come up that will cause you to push that workout to the next day. By going early in the morning, you will be more consistent with your training.
- Boost your metabolic rate – Any type of exercise will increase your metabolic rate. How much will depend on your current fitness level and the type of activity you choose. By getting in a great workout in the morning, you will boost your metabolism which will allow you to burn more calories for the rest of the day. This process is called excess post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC).
- Less distractions – those people who get up early in the morning to fit in a workout mean business. They are not there to hang out and socialize, like what might happen in the later hours of the day. Get up – workout – and move on with the rest of your day.
- Improved mood – Exercise of sufficient intensity and duration releases endorphins which are “feel-good” hormones. You should be in a good mood because nothing feels better than getting in a solid workout first thing in the morning. You will have a feeling of accomplishment and set yourself up for a productive day!
Have a hard time forcing yourself to get up early and get that workout in? Check out my 7 Tricks to Waking Up Earlier. If you’re looking for some help in training for an upcoming race or even preparing for next season, contact me.